A family lawyer New York, NY respects from Okun Oddo & Babat, P.C. may be able to help you settle your divorce. Our firm has handled divorce cases for the past 30 years and we are dedicated to helping individuals like yourself deal with difficult divorces. You don’t have to go through this difficult time by yourself.
How Long Does a Divorce Take?
If you want to file for divorce, you are probably wondering how long the entire process will take. The truth is that the length of your divorce can depend on several different factors, including:
- No-Fault or Fault-Based: If you file a no-fault divorce, no one takes blame and the divorce can usually be settled faster. If you file for divorce based on adultery, abuse, or some other form of wrongdoing, this fault-based approach could slow down the process. This is because you have to prove grounds in court.
- Uncontested or Contested: A contested divorce, which is when a divorcing couple cannot agree to the terms of one or more issues, may take longer because you will likely have to go to trial. If you want to settle your divorce as quickly as possible, you should have your family lawyer in New York, NY help you resolve issues with your spouse in mediation.
- Hiding Assets: If you believe your spouse is trying to hide assets, you may want to speak to a family lawyer New York, NY trusts. Your divorce could take longer, but you want to make sure that you receive all the assets you are entitled to.
- Serving Divorce Papers: Some spouses purposely try to avoid getting served divorce papers. If this is the case with your spouse, the process will take longer.
Going through a longer divorce process is daunting. You can speed up the process by reaching an agreement with your spouse on important issues, like child support, custody, visitation rights, and division of property and debt. A family lawyer New York, NY relies on may help you with this.
Should I Hire a Family Lawyer?
A divorce can get quite complicated, so it may be in your best interest to hire an experienced divorce lawyer. Here are a few benefits of working with a divorce lawyer:
- Paperwork: There is a lot of paperwork involved in a divorce. If you make one little mistake, it can slow down the entire process. A skilled New York family lawyer may help you fill out these documents without any errors and turn them in on time.
- Objectivity: It can be hard to remain objective in your own divorce case when you are feeling such a wide range of emotions. That’s what a divorce lawyer is there for. He can remain objective and prevent you from making decisions that you’ll later regret.
- Protect Your Rights: A family lawyer New York, NY depends on may also ensure that your spouse’s lawyer doesn’t take advantage of you.
If you are looking for a family lawyer New York, NY offers, contact Okun Oddo & Babat, P.C. at 212-642-0950.