A slip and fall lawyer New York, NY residents trust may represent many clients who have been injured in slip and fall accidents. In fact, statistics show that there are more than one million people who end up in hospital emergency rooms because of injuries resulting from a slip and fall accident. People who have been injured in this type of accident may wish to contact a New York slip and fall lawyer to find out their legal options for compensation. Many victims are able to collect monetary damages because of the injuries they have suffered.
A slip and fall lawyer New York, NY can provide may see victims who have been injured in places such as shopping malls, supermarkets, business offices, private residences, or government-owned property. These accidents could happen because of an owner’s failure to repair or clean up a hazard, such as broken steps. Other accidents occur from hazards of natural weather conditions, such as an icy walkway. A victim of a slip and fall accident can contact a slip and fall lawyer in New York, NY to discuss their case.
Common Examples of Slip and Fall Accidents
A slip and fall lawyer New York, NY locals turn to from Okun, Oddo & Babat, P.C. has seen a wide range of slip and fall accident scenarios. However, some types of slip and fall accidents are much more common than others. The resulting physical effects from this type of accident also varies and some are much more serious than others. The severity of the injury will also vary but it can range from slight to fatal. Here is more information about this and when it may be necessary to work with a slip and fall lawyer New York, NY pedestrians choose:
- Slip and fall accident on a sidewalk. Many people of all ages have slipped and fallen on sidewalks. Very often this is because the surface is slippery with ice, snow, or water. In other scenarios, it may be due to the sidewalk being broken in some way such as cracked or gouged. Whether the sidewalk is in a public area or owned by a private property owner, you may be entitled to compensation from the person, governmental entity, or company that owns or manages the sidewalk. A slip and fall lawyer New York, NY community members trust from Okun, Oddo & Babat, P.C. can review the facts of the case and determine who should be named in the claim or lawsuit.
- Slip and fall accident on a staircase or steps. As with slip and falls on sidewalks, steps can be hazardous if they are slippery or broken. Whether the injured victim was climbing a set of steps up to a subway platform, or walking down a staircase at the public library, the property owner has a legal obligation to ensure the safety of those using that staircase. When working with a slip and fall lawyer New York, NY injury victims rely on to get them justice, it may be necessary to see more than one doctor to verify the cause and extent of your injury. The at-fault insurer may require you to see their physician in addition to the physician recommended by your own attorney.
- Slip and fall accident on a retail establishment’s floor. One of the most common scenarios is when a victim slips on a floor that is slick with a spilled liquid or other substance, or was recently washed by an employee and is still wet. When a retailer allows a hazardous condition to exist, such as a slippery floor, without addressing that hazard, they can be held liable. A slip and fall lawyer in New York, NY from Okun, Oddo & Babat, P.C. will have to determine if the retailer was aware of the hazard, or should have been, and if they made no effort to address it.
Common Slip and Fall Injuries
In the best case scenario, after a slip and fall accident, you are perfectly fine. Unfortunately, that is often not the case. A slip and fall can be minor or very serious to fatal. Depending on the extent of the injury, you may or may not need the help of a New York slip and fall lawyer.
If you sustained a serious injury and require extensive and expensive medical treatment, the at-fault party may refuse to take responsibility. One of our attorneys may be able to help you get maximum compensation from the property owner. Here are some of the most common injuries that often require help from a slip and fall lawyer New York, NY longtime residents count on to protect their rights:
- Back or spinal cord injury;
- Broken bones;
- Scrapes that will leave permanent scarring;
- Fractured hip or pelvis; and
- Closed head or brain injury.
How to Prove a Slip and Fall Case
There are factors that a slip and fall lawyer New York, NY residents rely on may address in slip and fall cases to determine how to proceed with each case. The first factor he or she may examine is the circumstance that resulted in the dangerous hazard that caused your fall. The second factor your lawyer may assess is whether the property owner was aware of the hazardous condition or should have been aware of the hazard.
There are several ways an attorney may go about determining these factors. There are occasionally witnesses in a slip and fall accident, especially in locations such as shopping malls or supermarkets. Video surveillance cameras could also be key sources of evidence in a slip and fall injury case. A New York slip and fall lawyer may obtain various evidence that may bolster your injury claim.
Let a Slip and Fall Lawyer New York, NY Victims Trust Fight for You
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident caused by someone else’s negligence, it may be crucial to your case to contact a New York slip and fall injury lawyer right away. Critical evidence, such as video recordings, could be reused or destroyed by the owner if it is not obtained immediately following an accident.
Depending on the extent of your injuries, you may be facing medical expenses, rehabilitation costs, and lost wages because you are unable to work. These are all damages that you may be able to recover in a personal injury claim. The skilled attorneys at Okun, Oddo & Babat, P.C. are happy to discuss your case in detail during a complimentary case evaluation.
To schedule an appointment with a trusted slip and fall lawyer New York, NY has to offer, contact us today at 212.642.0950 or fill out a contact form from our website.