Common Slip and Fall Hazards
According to national statistics compiled by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), more than one million people end up at emergency rooms each year due to injuries they sustain in slip and fall accidents. Injuries from these types of accidents can be minor, such as pulled muscles or ligaments, to catastrophic, such as brain injuries or spinal cord injuries. In many cases, the victim suffers injuries so severe they are unable to survive.
At Okun, Oddo & Babat, P.C., we aggressively advocate for slip and fall accident victims in order to ensure they receive the financial compensation they deserve for the losses their injuries have caused. Each slip and fall lawyer from our firm knows that these accidents can take place anywhere, including private residences, businesses, retail establishments, and workplaces and understands the devastating effect injuries can have on victims.
What are some of the most common slip and fall hazards?
Although there are many factors that can cause a slip and fall accident, a slip and fall lawyer from Okun, Oddo & Babat, P.C. can attest based on the cases he or she handles, that the following are the typically the most common:
- Liquids or debris left on a walking surface: Whenever any liquid has been spilled on the floor, it is critical it be cleaned up quickly and entirely in order to eliminate a hazard that would cause a person to slip. If this happens in a public place, such as a business or store, or when there is any type cleaning to walking surfaces, management or the owners should post warning signs to inform patron of the possible slipping hazards.
- Poor or no lighting: Property owners and management of companies have a duty of care to anyone who has permission to visit the location to eliminate any hazards that could cause injury. This includes making sure common areas such as entryways, hallways, and stairwells are adequately lit.
- No handrails: Every stairway or ramp in a building should have handrails for people to hold onto. There are usually local building ordinances which require this.
- Tripping dangers: When items such as carpeting and mats are frayed or loose, there is a significant tripping hazard created. This is also true for any wires or cords which are loose and not secured properly.
- Poor walking surfaces: If there is something wrong with the surface that people walk on, there is a greater risk of a slip and fall occurring. For example, a floorboard that is loose or a crack in a walkway pavement can cause significant injury to someone who is not aware these hazards exist as they walk across the area.
- Weather: Winter weather in New York, NY creates all types of hazards to walking surfaces, with the ice and snow that falls. If surfaces are left untreated and uncleared, someone walking on it could have a serious fall. It is not only winter weather that can cause dangerous conditions. Heavy rain can also cause a slip and fall.
At Okun, Oddo & Babat, P.C., we find that the majority of slip and fall injuries are preventable had the owner or party responsible for the property was not negligent in their duty of care for providing a safe environment to visitors. Call our office to set up a free case evaluation with a slip and fall lawyer New York, NY clients recommend from our firm today and find out how we can help you get the justice you deserve.