Brain Injury Lawyer New York, NY
If you or someone you love has suffered a brain injury because of someone else’s negligence, it may be wise to find a local brain injury lawyer New York, NY trusts. Brain injury victims may experience lifelong effects that require substantial medical care. At Okun, Oddo & Babat, P.C., we believe it’s important for injured victims to have a trusted source of legal counsel after a serious brain injury. It may be possible for a victim, or the victim’s family, to obtain a financial settlement for their pain and suffering.
It can be difficult to go through the process of a civil lawsuit without legal support. Okun, Oddo & Babat, P.C. is dedicated to helping people get the financial retribution they need in order to recover from a terrible brain injury. We highly recommend obtaining a brain injury lawyer in New York, NY if you or a loved has been hurt because of someone else.
Depending on the severity of your injury, it can affect the way you function in daily life. Here are some of the ways this type of injury can change your life:
- Physical Injury
With a mild brain injury, such as a minor concussion, you may be able to go about your regular activities without serious problems. However, you may have difficulty playing some sports and engaging in activity very long without getting tired. Severe brain injuries may result in substantial physical pain and it may be impossible to engage in your normal daily activities.
- Psychological Injury
If your brain injury was in your frontal lobe, it may affect your emotions and behavior. For example, you might become more irritable in certain situations and or find it difficult to control your emotions. The limitations imposed by your injury might also lead to depression.
- Cognitive Impairment
If you have a moderate to severe brain injury, you may have trouble concentrating and remembering new information. Tasks that were simple before might take you too long to finish. You may also experience speech problems and have trouble pronouncing certain words correctly.
Although these issues can be managed with rehabilitation therapy, they may still impact how you live. That’s why hiring an experienced brain injury lawyer New York, NY counts on to help you obtain compensation is important.
Signs of a Brain Injury
Brain injuries can vary in severity, so not every person who has a brain injury may show the same symptoms. A brain injury lawyer in New York, NY can tell you that injuries can range from a minor concussion to life-threatening brain swelling. It can be difficult to evaluate just how serious the brain injury is unless that person gets medical attention. Not all brain injuries are visible externally, such as a cracked skull or bleeding from a wound. When the injury is deep within the brain, things can become dire very quickly. Here are some of the most common signs of a brain injury:
- Nausea and/or vomiting
- Blurry vision
- Difficult to awaken
- Uneven dilation of pupils
- Double vision
- Slurred speech
- Weakness of arms, legs or face
- Loss of balance
- Headaches that won’t ease up
- Light headed
- Sensitive to sounds and light
- Odd sleeping patterns
- Trouble remembering
- Slowness in thinking
- Ringing in ears
- Bad taste in mouth
- Mood changes (anxiety/depression)
Causes of Brain Injuries
The causes of brain injuries can vary from medical malpractice and slip and fall accidents to motor vehicle accidents. However, in order to receive compensation, your brain injury lawyer in New York, NY must prove that your injury is due to another person’s negligence.
A brain injury lawyer New York, NY respects needs to present medical evidence to the court to support your case, including copies of medical tests and testimony from the medical professionals who treated you.
Common Treatments for Brain Injuries
Due to their seriousness, brain injuries require significant care and treatment. Medical costs run very high. For this reason, it’s important to contact a brain injury lawyer New York, NY victims choose in similar circumstances. A New York brain injury lawyer can help you file a claim or lawsuit for damages from the person or company responsible. This party may be held liable for your medical costs. The treatments used for those with a brain injury depend on several factors, including the magnitude of the injury and the overall health of the patient. Your physician will have to thoroughly assess your condition before he or she can determine a treatment plan. The following is an overview of common treatments for brain injuries.
Immediate Brain Injury Treatment
After someone suffers a brain injury, they should seek immediate medical attention. Otherwise, their condition may worsen. In some cases, they risk death. Depending on the circumstances, the victim may undergo these procedures:
- If the patient is not breathing, a first responder or emergency room medical responder will perform resuscitation procedures.
- If surgery is required, the trauma surgeon and surgical staff will operate. The trauma team may include any or all of these medical personnel:
- Brain surgeon
- Spinal cord surgeon
- Orthopedic surgeon
- General surgeon
- Trauma nurse
- Transfer to a trauma care unit after the patient is stable. The hospital’s critical care nursing staff will closely monitor the patient. If the victim’s condition makes it impossible for them to contact a brain injury lawyer New York, NY residents recommend, the family may be able to do so on their behalf.
- The brain injured victim will be constantly monitored and assessed for any change in condition. The nursing staff will be especially focused on the patient’s pain level and if any signs of infection develop.
- If oxygen therapy or a ventilator is necessary, a respiratory therapist will configure the necessary equipment and make sure it continues to run properly. He or she will also make any adjustments as needed, based on the patient’s response to treatment.
- An acute trauma psychologist will be available to help the patient and their family make critical care decisions and will be there in a support role.
- A brain injury lawyer New York, NY families choose can work with the family to begin the process of filing a suit against those responsible for the victim’s brain injury. An attorney from Okun, Oddo & Babat, P.C. may meet with the victim and/or their family at the hospital. A brain injury lawyer New York, NY locals call first should protect the victim’s rights and make sure the medical facility provides the documentation needed for legal action.
- A social worker who is specially trained to handle trauma can help prepare the family members in advance of seeing their loved one for the first time after the accident. The social worker can help them to understand what the patient is experiencing. He or she can also help the family as well as the patient to understand what they’re facing for the recovery process.
- Eventually, the patient may be moved to a rehabilitation facility. It may be in-patient at first, until her or she is able to return home and follow with outpatient treatment. In addition, it may be clearer as to what future treatments will be necessary. A brain injury lawyer New York, NY accident victims turn to for legal guidance may include anticipated future medical costs in the claim or lawsuit.
When an Attorney is Needed
Many people ask us if hiring an attorney at Okun Oddo & Babat, P.C. is required. While obtaining legal representation is not necessary, it can be very helpful to your case. For example, a brain injury lawyer in New York, NY can help protect you from insurance adjusters, offer insight into legalities, fight for your behalf, speak with witnesses for a statement, and more.
If your brain injury incident occurred because someone else was careless, reckless or acted with intent, then we need to know about this right away. Even if you are not completely sure but have a suspicion that another party had an influence on what happened, inform us during the first consultation so we can advise you on how to proceed. During the consultation, bring along medical documents, the name of the organization you think may be responsible, any losses you faced due the brain injury.
An attorney at Okun, Oddo & Babat, P.C. can meet with you in-person to talk further about how your brain injury happened, and who may be at-fault for the incident. We do not back down easily, and will do what is within our power to see that you are awarded financial compensation for the suffering you endured. Please do not accept what has happened to you, let us help.
Preparing for an Initial Consultation With a Brain Injury Lawyer in New York, NY
During your first appointment with a brain injury lawyer New York, NY relies on, it’s important to bring every piece of evidence you have. It’s okay if you’re nervous or you don’t feel completely prepared to answer all of his or her questions. This can be a very scary time and a compassionate lawyer would understand.
Do not hesitate to ask a New York NY brain injury lawyer questions too, such as how many brain injury lawsuits he or she has handled in the past and much your case may be worth.
You owe it to yourself to get compensation for your injury. If you are still searching for a brain injury lawyer New York, NY offers, contact Okun, Oddo & Babat, P.C.
Brain Injury Legal Resources:
“One of the most reliable and trustworthy groups of attorneys in New York”