There are both state and federal laws which protect workers and if your rights have been violated, you should consider meeting with an employee rights lawyer New York, NY residents trust. At Okun, Oddo & Babat, we aggressively advocate for workers against companies who have violated those laws and are available to discuss the specific circumstances of our situation and what legal options you may have.
How Can an Employee Rights Lawyer New York, NY Clients Rely On Help?
A seasoned employee rights lawyer in New York, NY knows that there are many ways employers violate workers’ rights. One of the most common ways is by violating employment discrimination laws. Under the New York State Human Rights Law, it is illegal for an employer to discriminate against an employee for any reason. Our firm has successfully represented many clients whose employer violated that law, including:
- Age discrimination;
- Criminal record/arrest discrimination;
- Gender or sex discrimination;
- LGBTQ /sexual orientation discrimination;
- Pregnancy discrimination;
- Racial discrimination; and
- Religious discrimination.
An employee rights lawyer New York, NY locals depend on can also help you if your employer has committed any wage violations against you. A lawyer can help you obtain any unpaid wages, overtime, or benefit pay that your employer refuses to pay you. You may also be able to file a claim if your line of work involves tips and your employer violates the state’s hospitality industry wage order.
Other labor law violations that your lawyer can assist you with include:
- Any violations pertaining to your organizing or being part of a labor union;
- Any violations or refusal to grant time off under the federal government’s Family and Medical Leave Act;
- Any violation of the Americans with Disability Act. This law protects workers who may have a physical or mental disability from being fired or otherwise discriminated against by their employer based on that disability;
- Any incidents of sexual harassment, including requests for sexual favors, unwelcome sexual advances, and other verbal or physical harassment of a sexual nature.
Let an Employee Rights Lawyer New York, NY Workers Recommend Fight for You
There are multiple steps an employee should take when their rights have been violated. The first step is to file a complaint with their employer. Under the law, there should be a procedure in place, usually through the human resources department. The next steps involve filing official complaints with state and federal agencies which oversee the particular violation or violations the employer has committed. Once that process has been completed, the victim can then file a lawsuit in the legal system. In order to gain the best possible outcome, you should consult with a lawyer immediately following the violation so that he or she can represent your rights through each step of this process.
If your rights have been violated and you would like to speak with a skilled New York employee rights lawyer, contact Okun, Oddo & Babat today. Our seven professional lawyers offer more than 100 years of combined legal experience in every aspect of civil litigation. Our legal team also includes multi-lingual para-professionals who can assist clients who speak English, French, Italian, Russian, and Spanish.
Contact an experienced employee rights lawyer New York, NY provides at 212-642-0950 to set up an appointment for your free case evaluation.