Pedestrian Accident Lawyer In New York, NY
A pedestrian accident lawyer may be able to help clients receive compensation for accidents involving common causes such as: vehicles traveling at unsafe speeds, vehicles failing to yield to pedestrians at crosswalks, motorists ignoring or disobeying traffic signals, or motorists failing to focus complete attention on the road. Contrary to common misconceptions, these reasons are typical causes of accidents in New York City.
Surprisingly, jaywalking pedestrians are not the most common victims of accidents. Rather, it is law-abiding pedestrians who make up the bulk of pedestrian accident statistics. Especially in this age of technology, there are many distractions for drivers––and this distracted driving may be at the root of many collisions, which cause serious injury to pedestrians. A pedestrian accident lawyer in New York, NY can help get to the root of the cause.
Some of the most common injuries sustained in a pedestrian accident are:
- Fractures: Sustained when the pedestrian strikes the windshield or hood of a car
- Internal injuries: These serious injuries may not be immediately apparent, but any internal pain can be an indication that serious internal damage may have occurred in the accident (such as damage to the heart, lungs, brain, and other vital organs).
- Serious cuts and gashes: These injuries range from minor cuts to serious open wounds. No matter how minor a cut or wound may seem, it is vital that victims have any open wound examined to prevent the risk of infection or other complications.
- Damage to spine: Damage to the back and spine can have serious long-term effects on a person’s well-being. If you are experiencing back pain of any kind after an accident, it is imperative that you obtain medical attention.
A good pedestrian accident lawyer can tell a client that the above symptoms are serious and warrant, at the very least, a consultation after the crash. Some victims may experience shock after a collision and desire to forget about the accident. It is important to ensure that fallout after the crash is dealt with. Neglecting symptoms of injuries can lead to serious long-term health problems that detract from quality of life. In addition to the reassurance of following up with professionals, you may find that you are eligible for compensation.
Settlement Vs. Lawsuit
There is a significant difference between a personal injury settlement and a personal injury lawsuit. The following can provide insight into the difference between the two and when they may be best utilized:
- Personal Injury Claims: When a victim files a personal injury claim, they do so with the lawyer of the negligent party. Through this process, victims and their attorneys can negotiate a settlement. An attorney is an intricate part to this process as they are far more likely to negotiate a settlement that you can be satisfied with. The process involves:
- Notifying any applicable insurance company of the accident
- Providing proof that the person causing the accident was responsible
- Proving that you obtained damages that warrant a settlement
- Personal Injury Lawsuits: Is when a victim who has suffered an injury at the hands of another file an official complaint with the courts to obtain compensation for damages. When two parties can’t come together to work out a settlement they can agree upon, a lawsuit may be the best available option. Sometimes a lawsuit is a better fit than a settlement; however, they can be more expensive and drawn out. Although you do not have to wait for a claim denial in order to pursue a lawsuit, sometimes it makes more sense to attempt to settle first.
“One of the most reliable and trustworthy groups of attorneys in New York”