What should a person do after being involved in a car accident?
Car accidents are one of the most common personal injury cases a personal injury lawyer New York, NY trusts deals with. At Okun, Oddo & Babat, P.C., we know just how prevalent these types of accidents are. If you were involved in a car accident, you may be able to recover compensation for your losses. However, in order to do that, there are several steps you must take immediately following the accident, including:
- Call the Police: If a car accident resulted in injuries or vehicle damage, it’s important to contact the police and ask them to come to the accident scene. They are required to write a police report, which includes important details about that accident, like where it happened and if anyone got hurt. Remember to ask the police for a copy of this report and give to your personal injury lawyer in Midtown, NY. The report may serve as evidence in your case.
- Take Photos: Photos of the accident scene are also evidence your personal injury lawyer New York, NY respects may use to prove your case. With your cell phone camera, try to take photos of any damage to your vehicle, skid marks on the road, and your injuries.
- Talk to Witnesses: People who witnessed the car accident may testify on your behalf in court, so make sure to talk to them if you are able. Ask them for their names and contact information. Your personal injury lawyer New York, NY relies on may contact these witnesses later and have them give an account of what they saw during the accident.
- Get Medical Attention: If you were injured during the car accident, it’s important to see a doctor as soon as possible. A doctor can carefully examine your injuries and determine the appropriate treatment. Delaying medical attention can put your health at risk and make it more difficult to prove that your injuries resulted from the car accident.
- Keep Track of Your Medical Treatments: It’s important to keep a detailed account of all the medical treatments you receive for your injuries. Ask your doctors, physical therapists, and other medical professionals who treated you for copies of medical reports and bills. These documents may help a New York personal injury lawyer prove your medical expenses.
- Hire a Lawyer: Handling a car accident lawsuit on your own can be difficult and stressful. There’s a lot of paperwork to deal with and insurance adjusters may try to take advantage of you. A personal injury lawyer New York, NY depends on may help you through the entire process and address any questions and concerns you have on the way. With an experienced personal injury lawyer on your side, you may improve your chances of receiving fair compensation.
When you have recently gotten into an accident and have become injured, you may be wondering if you have a personal injury case on your hands. It is important to note that just because you were injured in some way—even if it is someone else’s fault—does not necessarily mean that you have a personal injury case. Our New York personal injury lawyer knows that it can be very traumatic to get into an accident and have medical bills to pay on top of the physical and emotional recovery process. If you have gotten into an accident and would like to know more about the personal injury case process and requirements, please read our article below on some of the most common questions we get about personal injuries. For more detailed information on your situation, please call our office.
Is any type of injury a personal injury?
This can be confusing because many people think that if they are in a situation where they get hurt and it was someone else’s fault, it is automatically a personal injury issue. This is not always the case, though. To be a personal injury, someone must have committed a harmful act either intentionally or as a result of negligence. These kinds of accidents may come in the form of:
- Car accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Workplace injuries
- Premises liability
- Medical malpractice, and more
What makes a personal injury case?
When you are weighing whether you have a personal injury case or not, one of the biggest factors you will want to look for is negligence. Did someone else’s negligence directly cause the accident which caused you to become injured? You can speak with one of our attorneys for more detailed information on negligence in your case.
I have high medical bills from the accident. Do I pay these?
This will depend on who is responsible for your injuries. One of the first things you should do after the accident is to speak with one of our personal injury lawyers in New York, New York to begin determining fault. In some cases, your insurance may cover your injuries. However, if you can prove that the other party is responsible for the accident and your injuries, the at-fault party’s insurance should cover your medical bills.
How do I know how much compensation I’ll get?
Unfortunately, there is no one algorithm that insurance companies or juries use to determine everyone’s compensation in personal injury cases. However, there are certain objective and subjective factors to take into consideration. For example, you may know certain dollar amounts for expenses like your lost wages, your hospital stay, your surgery, and even future lost wages. Compensation begins to get vague when we talk about pain and suffering or loss of enjoyment of life. When you speak with us, we can begin to set expectations for what you should settle on.
For more information, or to schedule a consultation with a personal injury lawyer New York, NY offers, contact Okun, Oddo & Babat, P.C. at 212-642-0950.
“Professional, Courteous, Responsible and pleasant to work with, but when it comes for them to representing they are sharks and don;t take any prisoners. Once they start working with you, they will finish the work and keep you in the loop of the progress of the suit. Would strongly recommend them”