What should a person do after being involved in a car accident?
Car accidents are one of the most common personal injury cases a personal injury lawyer New York, NY trusts deals with. At Okun, Oddo & Babat, P.C., we know just how prevalent these types of accidents are. If you were involved in a car accident, you may be able to recover compensation for your losses. However, in order to do that, there are several steps you must take immediately following the accident, including:
- Call the Police: If a car accident resulted in injuries or vehicle damages, it’s important to contact the police and ask them to come to the accident scene. They are required to write a police report, which includes important details about that accident, like where it happened and if anyone got hurt. Remember to ask the police for a copy of this report and give to your personal injury lawyer in New York, NY. The report may serve as evidence in your case.
- Take Photos: Photos of the accident scene are also evidence your personal injury lawyer New York, NY respects may use to prove your case. With your cell phone camera, try to take photos of any damage to your vehicle, skid marks on the road, and your injuries.
- Talk to Witnesses: People who witnessed the car accident may testify on your behalf in court, so make sure to talk to them if you are able. Ask them for their names and contact information. Your personal injury lawyer New York, NY relies on may contact these witnesses later and have them give an account of what they saw during the accident.
- Get Medical Attention: If you were injured during the car accident, it’s important to see a doctor as soon as possible. A doctor can carefully examine your injuries and determine the appropriate treatment. Delaying medical attention can put your health at risk and make it more difficult to prove that your injuries resulted from the car accident.
- Keep Track of Your Medical Treatments: It’s important to keep a detailed account of all the medical treatments you receive for your injuries. Ask your doctors, physical therapists, and other medical professionals who treated you for copies of medical reports and bills. These documents may help a New York personal injury lawyer prove your medical expenses.
- Hire a Lawyer: Handling a car accident lawsuit on your own can be difficult and stressful. There’s a lot of paperwork to deal with and insurance adjusters may try to take advantage of you. A personal injury lawyer New York, NY depends on may help you through the entire process and address any questions and concerns you have on the way. With an experienced personal injury lawyer on your side, you may improve your chances of receiving fair compensation.
For more information, or to schedule a consultation with a personal injury lawyer New York, NY offers, contact Okun, Oddo & Babat, P.C. at 212-642-0950.