Divorce Lawyer New York, NY
When you were exchanging vows with your future husband or wife, the possibility of a divorce probably was not on your mind. At that point in your life, everything may have seemed possible as you looked forward to a wonderful future together. At Okun, Oddo & Babat, P.C., many of our clients came to us after coming to the sad realization they needed a divorce lawyer in New York, NY.
Disappointments happen and for whatever reason, you are considering getting a divorce. Or, perhaps your spouse has already started the proceedings. Either way, during this emotional and difficult time, you likely need the help of a divorce lawyer in New York, NY who can protect your best interests during the proceedings.
How Do I Find the Right Divorce Lawyer for Me?
Divorce not only affects you but also your family, children, and friends. It is possible to go through the legal process without hiring a divorce lawyer in New York, NY, but you may get taken advantage of in the process. This is even more likely if your spouse hires their own lawyer. When you work with a divorce lawyer in New York, NY from Okun, Oddo & Babat, P.C., you can feel confident that you’re in good hands. Your attorney can answer your questions before beginning the divorce process. This might include eligibility requirements for divorce, where to file, how much will the fees cost, and how to handle custody issues when children are involved. Here are some tips on finding the best divorce lawyer in New York, NY for your needs:
- Because divorce proceedings have to settle financial and parenting issues, search for a an attorney who specializes in child support as well as visitation requirements.
- Ask about their experience and expertise.
- Because state laws vary, it is wise to select an attorney who practices law in the state in which you were married. If that was not in New York, ask the divorce lawyer in New York, NY if they are licensed to practice in that other state.
- Is their demeanor cooperative or combative?
- Ask the divorce lawyer in New York, NY about alternative options to divorce such as mediation or coming to a divorce agreement outside of court.
What Questions Should I Ask My Divorce Lawyer in New York, NY?
Before deciding on which divorce lawyer in New York, NY to hire, you should consider asking the following questions and be comfortable with their answers before you proceed:
- How long does the divorce process last?
- What is involved in that process?
- How many divorce cases have you handled? Do you primarily handle divorce cases?
- Will you be the only one in the practice working on my case? Who else may be working on my case?
- Do you have experience with child custody and visitation cases?
- Do you offer alternative avenues such as mediation to resolve disputes?
- Do you have experience working with wealthy clients where the financial aspect of a divorce is an issue?
- What is the estimated cost of my divorce?
Once you have all your questions answered to your satisfaction, select the attorney you feel will best represent your interests and be your best advocate. For a free consultation with a divorce lawyer New York, NY turns to from Okun, Oddo & Babat, P.C., call our office today.